John Hunt Morgan’s brother-in-law, Brig-Gen. Basil Wilson Duke, who served as 1st Lieutenant of Company ‘A’ of the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry, and later as Colonel commanding the regiment, was a noted post-bellum historian who authored the book, History of Morgan’s Cavalry (Cincinnati: Miami Print. & Pub. Co., 1867.).
Chapter V of this scholarly work, which is an authoritative and reliable account of the subject, describes the framed motto ― “Our laws the commands of our Captain” ― that was prominently displayed at the entrance to the Lexington Rifles Armory at Main and Upper Streets in Lexington, Kentucky.
As such, those words and that sentiment have been retained as the official motto of this Company.