The campsite of the Lexington Rifles is referred to as “Camp Charity” in honor of the camp that was established from Sept. 22-25, 1861 at a farm 2.4 miles southwest of the town of Bloomfield, along the Middle Branch of Simpson’s Creek (presently known as Camp Charity Creek), in Nelson County, Kentucky. Here, the Lexington Rifles encamped with the Nelson Greys, a State Guard militia company from Bardstown, whose commander, Capt. John C. Wickliffe, chose the site because the landowner was a Confederate sympathizer. Due to the charitable donations of food and equipment from the generous and patriotic townspeople of Bloomfield, Morgan’s grateful men dubbed their camp as “Camp Charity“. A wayside historical marker presently locates the site along U.S. Route 62 (Old Bloomfield Road), 7 miles northeast of Bardstown.